SMP is a semester-long mentoring program for international freshmen to help with their transition to SNU and Korea.
Recruitment for mentors (juniors and seniors at SNU) and international student mentees occur every semester.
Mentors and mentees are matched based on similar majors, interests and personalities. SMP mentoring
activities include weekly one-on-one mentoring meetings and various group mentoring sessions (socializing and
engaging in cultural exchanges).
Individual mentoring meetings
- Weekly meetings with your Mentor
(Once a week / more than 2 hours each / total 10 times or more. Required to submit at least 2 individual mentoring reports including 2 group report)
- It is a compulsory activity in SMP!!
Group mentoring meetings
- Regular meetings with other mentoring teams.
- Chance to get close to other mentor/mentee SMP members!
- You are required to participate in the group mentoring meetings at least 4 times during the semester!
Gathering events for all mentoring members
- Orientation: Meeting up with all of mentors& mentees!! (participation required)
- Picnic, membership gatherings, tea times or potluck party for all members!
Group supervision for mentees (one time event this semester)
- To check your ability to manage grades, studying, relationships, etc.
- To monitor/provide feedback on mentoring activities.
- To share information among mentees.
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND THIS GROUP SUPERVISION (duty!!!)
- You need to be an active participant and put aside the necessary time for you and your mentor to meet.
- Make sure to check your email regularly, respond to your mentor’s messages, and ask for help or guidance when needed.
- Be respectful of your mentor’s time and take full advantage of the program
- Provide feedback about the program when requested
- If you have any questions or a problematic/uncomfortable situation arises, please contact us immediately
*** Please understand that, as there are variables into the mix when it comes to matching you with a mentor (e.g., no mentor applicants from your department), you may not be paired with a mentor you wanted; or may not be accepted to the SMP, due to no matching mentor for you.
When to apply(time of application) : Every February and August.
How to apply : send notices by e-mail to new students